Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Life Journal, December 10, 2008
Today's readings: 2 Timothy 1-4

Kingdom Issue or Distraction

Scripture
Again I say, don't get involved in foolish, ignorant arguments that only start fights. A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but must be kind of everyone, be able to teach, and be patient with difficult people. Gently instruct those who oppose the truth. Perhaps God will change those people's hearts, and they will learn the truth. Then they will come to their senses and escape from the devil's trap. For they have been held captive by him to do whatever he wants.
2 Timothy 2.23-26

Observation
Stay focused on Kingdom issues--don't let the distractions pull you away or side-track you!

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
It is so easy to get caught up in all the distractions around you--in the petty arguments, in the whining, in those who are constantly disagreeable. All of the distractions to the real focus of our lives. They take so much energy away from what is really important. It is funny how easily they pull us away and distract from what we should be focused on. They sometimes consume us and they gain energy and power over us if we are not careful and stop it.

So, today, I will look at those things that come into my life and ask myself if they are Kingdom issues or distractions. I will not allow myself to get sucked-in to petty quarrels and I will allow God to work in my life with the difficult people. . . and I will pray for them and ask God to change their hearts. . . . remembering that I am someone's (probably several someone's) difficult person in their life.

Prayer
Father God, I get so easily side-tracked by the unimportant. Please help me to keep my focus on what is truly important -- on YOU! Give me wisdom to recognize whether something is a Kingdom issue or a distraction. Give me knowledge so I am able to teach in all situations. And, give me patience with difficult people. Fill me with Your Holy Spirit so I may treat each person kindly and as You would treat them. Thank You Father that You never give up on me!!

No comments: