Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Life Journal, December 17, 2008
Today's readings: 2 Peter 1-3; John 1

Shining Brightly

Scripture
In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God. He existed in the beginning with God. God created everything through him, and nothing was created except through him. The Word gave life to everything that was created, and his life brout light to everyone. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it.

God sent a man, John the Baptist, to tell about the light so that everyonemight believe because of his testimony. John himself was not th elight; he was simply a witness to tell about the light. The one who is the true light, who gives light to everyone, was coming into the world.
John 1.1-9

Observation
Jesus is the light of the world!

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
The world often seems so dark and hopeless. There is war, famine, destruction, genocide, . . . the list goes on and on. It can be overwhelming at times.

Then Christmas happens. And we are reminded of the baby who came to bring Light and Life into our dark lives. How dark the world is without Him.

And I am called to be a Light-bearer--carrying the Light of Christ into the darkness. The world still needs His Light--now, maybe, more than ever. And He has called me to take it with me--everywhere I go.

But to carry the Light, I must be filled with the Light. And to be filled with the Light, I have to be walking and living in the Light . . . otherwise I am only a flicker that can easily be put out. For my flame to burn brightly, I must fill myself with Christ's Light and Love.

So, today, I will continue to be in the Light--my source of Life--so that I can walk and live and share the Light of Christ with all whom I meet along the way.

Prayer
Father God, thank You for the Light--Your Son, Jesus Christ. Today, help me walk in His Light and may I be a Light-bearer, illuminating the path to You for others. Today I ask that You remove all darkness from inside of me--that You clean me up so I can shine brightly for You!

No comments: