Friday, December 5, 2008

Life Journal, December 5, 2008
Today's reading: Ephesians 5-6; Psalm 119.1-80

Imitator of God

Scripture
Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
Ephesians 5.1-2

Observation
I am called to imitate God, especially in how I love others.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
As a child, we often try to imitate one of our parents--someone we look up to and want to be like. I have always admired my father and what he is like. As a little girl I tried to do things just like he did--to like what he did, to act like he did, to respond like he did. I would watch his every move, listen to his every word and then try to imitate him. He was my hero--he was able to do anything. And imitating him seemed to be a great way to demonstrate how important he was to me--to show him just how much I loved him.

To imitate someone, you have to know them and the better you know them, the better able you are to imitate them. You have to spend time with them, watch what they do, how they act, how they treat others, etc. So, if I am going to imitate God, I have to know him intimately--I have to spend as much time with Him as I can--just a few minutes a day or one time a week won't do it. I have to be willing to give myself entirely to the process. I have to intentionally change things in my life that make me more like Him. I have to study Him and all I can learn about Him. And I have to practice and practice and practice being like Him.

To live a life of love--as God loves--requires me to relinquish all rights to my life and let God take it over . . . completely. . . . all areas . . . nothing held back. It has to be a very intentional and voluntary act of release.

So, today, I will continue in my journey to be an imitator of God. I will examine my life and see what areas need me to turn over to Him--recognizing it won't happen overnight and will be a lifelong process, but one that can't happen if I don't start somewhere. Today, I will examine my relationships and ask God to help me love better. . .to see others as He sees them . . . and for Him to give me His love for others.

Prayer
Father God, I want to imitate You--not the world. And Lord, I recognize that I cannot do it on my own. I need Your Holy Spirit to fill me over and over and over with Your love and character so that I can be more and more like You. Today, Lord God, may others see You at work in my life and may they experience Your love through me. I am Your child. May I reflect You!

No comments: