Monday, November 24, 2008

Life Journal, November 24, 2008
Today's readings: Matthew 17-19


Many Possessions


Scripture
Someone came to Jesus with this question: "Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?"

"Why ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. But to answer your question--if you want to receive eternal life, keep the commandments."

"Which ones?" the man asked.

And Jesus replied: "You must not murder. You must not commit adultery. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. Honor your father and mothers. Love your neighbor as yourself."

"I've obey all these commandments," the young man replied. "What else must I do?"

Jesus told him, "If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

But when the young man heard this, he went away sad, for he had many possessions.
Matthew 19.16-22



Observation
We want the easy answers--things we can do easily--to receive eternal life (not to mention blessings).



Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
So often I read this and think--boy am I glad I'm not rich. But that isn't the truth--compared to so many--actually most-- around the world I am richer than most.

Here are some interesting facts I recently "stumbled" upon:

(these come from Rob Bell in his book, Jesus Wants to Save Christians)

America controls nearly 20 percent of the world’s wealth. There are around six billion people in the world, and there are roughly three hundred million people in the U.S. That makes America less than 5 percent of the world’s population. And this 5 percent owns a fifth of the world’s wealth.

One billion people in the world do not have access to clean water, while the average American uses four hundred to six hundred liters of water a day.

Every seven seconds, somewhere in the world a child under age five dies of hunger, while Americans throw away 14 percent of the food we purchase.

Nearly one billion people in the world live on less than one American dollar a day.

Another 2.5 billion people in the world live on less than two American dollars a day.

More than half of the world lives on less than two dollars a day, while the average American teenager spends nearly $150 a week.

Forty percent of people in the world lack basic sanitation, while forty-nine million diapers are used and thrown away in American every day.

1.6 billion people in the world have no electricity.

Nearly one billion people in the world cannot read or sign their name.

Nearly one hundred million children are denied basic education.

By far, most of the people in the world do not own a car. One third of American families own three cars.

One in seven children worldwide (158 million) has to go to work everyday just to survive.

Americans spend more annually on trash bags than nearly half of the world does on all goods.

Pretty interesting--huh??

And this one blew me away--Americans spend an average of $450 Billion a year each Christmas. That's about $900 per family. Most of which gets returned anyway. Most of which is put on the credit card. Most of which isn't paid off even by the time the next Christmas rolls around. And it would only take $10 billion for everyone in the world to have clean water!

So, what does Jesus require of me??

I believe that I am called to live on less so that I can do more, in Jesus' name. So, that is what I am working at doing.

As a start, this year, I am cutting way back on giving at Christmas--at least gifts to others (including my family) and giving the money to groups that can make a difference in the lives of others. We all have everything that we need and more. . .so why give folks things they don't need or want just so I can feel good about it?? There are other ways--better ways to demonstrate my love for them.


Prayer
Father God, forgive me and my self-centeredness. Help me to see the world around me (including myself) through Your eyes. Give me Your heart for the hurting and lost. Help possessions not to have a hold on my life--let my focus be only on You. Lord, You know that I love to give to others--help me do it wisely, in ways that honor you. Thank You for calling me to the next step in my walk with You.



No comments: