Monday, November 17, 2008

Life Journal, November 17, 2008
Today's readings: 2 Corinthians 7-10

A Generous Heart

Scripture
Remember this--a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop. You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure. "For God love a person who gives cheerfully." And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others. As the Scriptures say,
"They share freely and give generously to the poor.
Their good deeds will be remembered forever."
For God is the one who provides seed for the farmer and then bread to eat. In the same way, he will provide and increase your resources and then produce a great harvest of generosity in you.
2 Corinthians 9.6-10

Observation
We are called to give generously out of the abundance that God has given us and trust that He will take care of us.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I love to give. It is my main "love language." So, I really love today's Scripture and the promises found there.

So, how will I be different today?? While I love to give, I still find myself judging others--whether they "deserve" or are "worthy" of my giving to. When folks ask for help, I decide whether I (or we the church) will help them. Have they asked for help before? What makes them "worthy" of our help? Instead of opening my hand to give, I have it closed tightly around what I have to give. How can I receive from God if my hand is clenched tightly? Who am I to judge whether someone is worthy of receiving help? Who am I to say that they have asked too many times? Don't I continue to come back to God, over and over again, asking for help from Him?

Jesus set the example for us--he gave freely . . . he gave completely. When we have it, we are called to give--without judging, without measure. Not that we aren't to be wise, but we are not to use that as an excuse to not help someone. If we clench too tightly to what we have, eventually our hands won't be able to open and we will miss all that God has for us.

So, today, I will open my hands and freely give as has been given to me. . .and leave them open so I can receive what God has for me. My heart will be open to giving.

Prayer
Father God, You always provide so richly for me. I am rich beyond measure--especially compared to so many in our world. Lord, may I use what you have given me to bless others. May You find me with my hands and heart open. May others experience Your gift of grace through My giving. May all I do point back to You--and only You.

No comments: