Monday, November 3, 2008

Life Journal, November 3, 2008
Today's readings: Job 25; Mark 13-14

Waiting and Watching

Scripture
[Jesus speaking] "However, no one knows the day or hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Sone himself. Only the Father knows. And since you don't know when that time will come, be on guard! Stay alert!

"The coming of the Son of Man can be illustrated by the story of a man going on a long trip. When he left home, he gave each of his slaves instructions about the work they were to do, and he told the gatekeeper to watch for his return. You, too, must keep watch! For you don't know when the master of the household will return--in the evening, at midnight, before dawn, or a daybreak. Don't let him find you sleeping when he arrives without warning. I say to you what I say to everyone: Watch for him!"
Mark 13.32-37

Observation
We need to be working and watching for the return of Jesus.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Recently I was at a meeting and the chaplain of the group shared his prophecy about when Jesus was going to return. He even had a date for us--September 21, 2008. He had studied for over 20 years and came up with this date.

When I heard him share, I found myself wondering if he had never read the Scripture in Mark 13--"No one knows the day or hour . . . " He has spent 20+ years on the prophecy, that didn't come true, rather than spending 20+ years being "about the work they were to do. . . "--loving God and loving others.

Jesus makes it clear that we know it is going to happen, but we don't know when--so we need to live like it could be today--working for the Kingdom. But, we get lulled into a sense of "not yet, I've got plenty of time" and twiddle our thumbs. When we should be focused and diligently doing the work God has called each of us to do.

So, today, I will do my best to not be caught "resting"--not doing the work that God has called me to do. . . . to love Him and love others. Today I will work and watch.

Prayer
Lord God, I have no idea when You will return. May I be found faithfully watching and working--doing what You have called me to do while I still have time here on earth.

No comments: