Friday, October 31, 2008

Life Journal, October 31, 2008
Today's readings: Job 22; Mark 7,8

What's On the Inside?

Scripture
Then Jesus called to the crowd to come and hear. "All of you listen," he said, "and try to understand. It's not what goes into your body that defiles you; you are defiled by what comes from your heart." . . . .

And then he added, "It is what comes from inside that defiles you. For from within, out of a person's heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, lustful desires, envy slander, pride, and foolishness. All these vile things come from within; they are what defile you."
Mark 7.14-15;20-23

Observation
It is what is on the inside that matters.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I just read?)
We don't often think too hard before we act or speak--but if we were to watch ourselves or listen to ourselves, I think we could learn a lot about the condition of our heart.

We have all done things or said things that, after the fact, wish we wouldn't have done. But do we just excuse ourselves and continue to do it--or do we take the time to look at our hearts and change. We will even use the excuse--"Well that's just the way I am" or "That's how I see things" or "I'm only human." When in truth we need to stop, confess and repent, and change our hearts--therefore our actions and words.

Today, I need to listen to myself and watch myself, asking God to shine His light on those areas of my life that reflect problems with my heart. And then I need to confess them and repent, asking God's help in not continuing in doing them. Then I need to be intentional and keep an eye on my heart. It is God's home--it should reflect Him and only Him. Today, I will do some "heart-cleaning."

Prayer
Father God, thank You for not allowing me to remain the same. Thank You for changing me and growing me. Today, shine Your light on those areas of my heart that need to be changed--and then help me change them. Help me to reflect more and more of You and less and less of me. Today, do any heart "surgery" You need to do so I can have Your heart. Thank You, Father.

No comments: