Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Life Journal, October 28, 2008
Today's readings: Job 19; Mark 1,2

Answering the Call

Scripture
One day as Jesus was walking along the shore of the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew throwing a net into the water, for they fished for a living. Jesus called out to them, "Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!" And they left their nets at once and followed him.
Mark 1.16-18

Observation
When Jesus called his disciples to follow him, they stopped whatever they were doing and followed him--no hesitation, no questions asked.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Jesus called, they followed--no hesitation. They stopped what they were doing and walked away. They left their jobs, they left their family and friends--Jesus called and they said "YES!"

Why are we so hesitant to follow when Jesus calls us to follow Him? We ask Him to wait or we give Him just a small part of our lives or we question Him . . . we don't just drop everything and follow. We have many good excuses--we have responsibilities, we have families, we have jobs, we have lives, we have bills, . . . that has to be for someone else--not us. We can go to church on Sunday morning and be a "follower" then--for that hour or two. But, we certainly are not willing to give up our lives for Him. What is He thinking??!!

Do I follow without hesitation? Do I go and do and say what He asks me to go, do, say? What boundaries have I placed around my relationship with Christ? What limits?

Today, I will follow--I will lay all hesitation, all boundaries . . . everything aside -- or at least I will try with His help.

Prayer
Lord God, forgive me for all the times I am not faithful in following You. For all the times that I have an excuse for not doing what You call me to do. For not laying down my life for You. For not giving You my all. Today, Lord, may I hear Your voice and say "YES!!!" without hesitation, without conditions, without boundaries. May I put my trust completely in You. Thank You Lord that You have called me to be Your follower.

No comments: