Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Life Journal, October 29, 2008
Today's readings: Job 20; Mark 3,4

Parable of the Growing Seed

Scripture
Jesus also said, "The Kingdom of God is like a farmer who scatters seed on the ground. Night and day, while he's asleep or awake, the seed sprouts and grows, but he does not understand how it happens. The earth produces the crops on its own. First a leaf blade pushes through, then the heads of wheat are formed, and finally the grain ripens. And as soon as the grain is ready, the farmer comes and harvests it with a sickle, for the harvest time has come."
Mark 4.26-29

Observation
We can plant the seeds and harvest the "wheat"--but it is God at work in the life of each "seed" that makes the difference, it has nothing to do with us.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
We like to give ourselves credit for "saving" folks, when in truth all we can do is plant the seed. It is God who does the work, who helps it grow, brings it to maturity--all the while we go on with life--we sleep, we go through life--having no control over what happens with the seeds. And then we get to harvest it. Funny how we like to take credit for the whole process--it makes us feel "powerful" when in truth we cannot do anything without God's help and intervention.

Today I will remember my role in God's process and be alert. I will plant seeds everywhere I can. I will watch for those that have matured and are ready to be harvested and then do my job in helping with the harvest. How great is our God! How blessed we are that He allows us to participate in the Kingdom work of God! How amazing that He can and will use each one of us--if we only let ourselves be used!

Prayer
Creator God, thank You for using me in Your Kingdom work. Today may I be faithful to spread Your seeds everywhere I walk. Today may I watch and listen to others to see who is ready to be harvested for You. I pray for boldness and wisdom. Today may I focus on Your Kingdom--not those things that don't matter.

No comments: