Thursday, October 23, 2008

Life Journal, October 23, 2008
Today's readings: Job 13, 14; Acts 17, 18

No Doubts

Scripture
As was Paul's custom, he went to the synagogue service, and for three Sabbaths in a row he used the Scriptures to reason with the people.
Acts 17.2

When they arrived there, they went to the Jewish synagogue. And the people of Berea were more open-minded than those in Thessalonica, and they listened eagerly to Paul's message. They searched the Scriptures day after day to see if Paul and Silas were teaching the truth.
Acts 17.10-11

While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was deeply troubled by all the idols he saw everywhere in the city. He went to the synagogue to reason with the Jews and the God-fearing Gentiles, and he spoke daily in the public square to all who happened to be there.
Acts 17.16-17

Each Sabbath found Paul at the synagogue, trying to convince the Jews and Greeks alike.
Acts 18.4

They stopped first at the port of Ephesus, where Paul left the others behind. While he was there, he went to the synagogue to reason with the Jews.
Acts 18.19

Observation
Paul knew what he had been called to do--and did it wherever he went.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Paul knew what God had called him to do, and he faithfully did it--no matter what obstacles he might face . . . even prison or beatings or death.

Do I do what God has called me to do--He has called each one of us to love Him with all our hearts, with all our minds, and with all our strength. He has called each one of us to love our neighbor. He has called each one of us to go and make disciples. He has called us to use our gifts to serve Him and the Church. . . He has made it very clear what we are called to do.

And, He calls each one of us to do something that only we are gifted for---to reach certain people with the Good News, to love certain people for Him, to be His hands and feet in specific ways. Am I doing it? Or do I close my ears (and my heart) because it makes me uncomfortable or it is inconvenient or because I am fearful of what others might think or act toward me?

Today I will listen to God's voice and follow what He calls me to do--I will be faithful and love those He puts in my path. I will be bold when He asks me to be in helping or in sharing the Good News. Today is a new day--filled with hope.

Prayer
Father God, I am not always faithful to do what You have called me to do. There are times when it is inconvenient or uncomfortable to do what You ask. Today, Lord God, I will set aside me and allow You to work in me and through me. Help me Lord, I cannot do it on my own. But, with You--I can!

No comments: