Monday, October 27, 2008

Life Journal, October 27, 2008
Today's readings: Job 18; Psalm 114; Acts 27, 28

Hope In the Middle of the Storm

Scripture
[Paul speaking] "But take courage! None of you will lose your lives, even though the ship will go down."
Acts 27.22

Observation
God is able!

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
You have to love it--Paul is on his way to stand trial before Caesar--he is on a ship in the middle of a gale. The sailors and others had done all they could to save the ship--and themselves. But Scripture tells us, "The terrible storm raged for many days, blotting out the sun and the stars, until at last all hope was gone." (vs.20) [emphasis mine] And Paul says, "Take courage!"

Everything looks lost--looks hopeless--yet Paul trust God and what God had promised. "For last night an angel of the God to whim I belong and whom I serve stood beside me, and he said, 'Don't be afraid, Paul, for you will surely stand trial before Caesar! What's more, God in his goodness has granted safety to everyone sailing with you.' So take courage! For I believe God. It will be just as he said. But we will be shipwrecked on an island." (vs.23-26) [emphasis mine]

Paul believed God--no matter how things appeared. Paul had put his hope in God.

Do I believe what God says? Do I believe Him? Do I live like I believe Him? Words do not mean much--especially if my actions don't show it.

So, today, will I believe . . . and live like I believe . . . God? May it be so in all areas of my life. May I walk in boldness and faith and trust and hope . . . but most of all in grace and love.

Prayer
Father God, thank You for Your promises and Your Word. Forgive me for those times that I doubt You--it's really not You that I doubt, but me and my ability to do what You ask. Lord help my unbelief--make me strong in Your strength. Thank You that You never give up on me!

No comments: