Thursday, November 20, 2008

Life Journal, November 20, 2008
Today's readings: Matthew 5-7

Love Who??

Scripture
[Jesus speaking] "You have heard the law that says, 'Love your neightbor' and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both th eevil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.
Matthew 5.43-48

Observation
We are called to love everyone, just as the Father does.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
It isn't enough just to say that we love others (especially our enemies--or the unloveable ones) it should show in our lives. . . .especially by how we treat them. We no longer just tolerate them, but we truly care for them. Not something that I can do on my own. Only when I have allowed God, through His Holy Spirit, to permeate my heart can it happen. The problem is that I hold back--really not wanting Him to fully take my heart, because--in truth--I don't really want to love them.

So, today, not only will I pray for my enemies---I will look for ways to be a blessing to them. I will allow the Holy Spirit to work in my heart so that God's love can reign there. Today I will not just pray for my enemies--I will love them, because of the love that God showed me on the cross through His Son, Jesus, and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Prayer
Father, forgive me for not loving as You love. Forgive me for judging who is worthy of loving. Forgive me for not loving my enemies, but only saying the words. Today, Lord God, I pray that You will come into my heart and reign there--changing it to be more like Yours. May Your love fill me in such a way today that it overflows on all that I come in contact with. Thank You God for Your love for me.

No comments: