Friday, November 7, 2008

Life Journal, November 7, 2008
Today's readings: Job 31, 32; Galatians 5, 6

Freedom For What?

Scripture
For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don't use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love. For the whole law can be summed up in this one command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." But if you are always biting and devouring one another, watch out! Beware of destroying one another.
Galatians 5.13-15

Observation
We are to use the freedom we have in Christ to serve and love others--not tear one another apart.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
It is always amazing to me how people in the church treat each other. It is no wonder that the unchurched want nothing to do with us. We tear each other down, we gossip about one another, we judge, we point fingers, . . . we certainly don't serve or love well. How it must break God's heart to see how we treat each other. We are like little children constantly bickering and biting at one another.

Scripture clearly speaks about how we are to treat one another. Why are we so ugly--and often in Jesus' name??

Later in Galatians, Paul writes: "So let's not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up. Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone--especially to those in the family of faith." [Galatians 6.9-10] Could this be why so many of our churches are dying and not reaching the lost? If we can't love "family" how can God trust us to love those outside the "family"?

So today, I will check my heart--I will see where I am guilty of this sin--I will repent and, with the Holy Spirit's help, I will not remain the same. And when I see myself being ugly--not reflecting God's love and not serving--I will listen to the Holy Spirit's nudging and stop. I will ask for forgiveness--from that person and from God. I was to be transformed into a new creation. Along with Paul, "May I never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ." [Galatians 6.14]

Prayer
Lord God, transform me today throught the power of Your Holy Spirit into a new creation. May I reflect your love in all that I say and do and may I faithfully serve You, Your family, and those who have yet come to know You and Your great love.


No comments: