Monday, November 10, 2008

Life Journal, November 10, 2008
Today's readings: Job 35, 36; 1 Corinthians 7, 8

The Strength of Love

Scripture
But while knowledge makes us feel important, it is love that strengthens the church. Anyone who claims to know all the answers doesn't really know very much. But the person who loves God is the one whom God recognizes.
1 Corinthians 8.1b-3

Observation
Love does us more good than knowledge.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
While Paul is talking about eating food that has been sacrificed to idols here--I think these words have a further reach than that.

We can know right from wrong--and we can do what is "right" and in many ways be wrong--if we don't care about those it effects. When love is stronger than our knowledge, we act (and treat others) differently. We put people before rules and laws. . . .and traditions. Our love for others is so great that we will care more about them than our traditions.

"It is love that strengthens the church." Powerful words. Not rules. Not traditions. Not knowledge. . . But love. And yet, it is often what we forget--because it requires something from us--it requires us to be in relationship. It requires us to get past ourselves. It requires us to be like Jesus.

So, today, I will seek to love better and more. Today, I will think of others first . . . and put them first.

Prayer
Lord, forgive me for all the times that I put myself and my desires and my wishes and my needs before others. Help me to love others as You do--sacrificially. Let me seek love before knowledge. Let me seek You before anything else. Thank You for today's lesson.

No comments: