Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Life Journal, November 18, 2008
Today's readings: Psalm 124; 2 Corinthians 11-13

Daily Examination

Scripture
Examine yourselves to see if your faith is genuine. Test yourselves. Surely you know that Jesus Christ is among you [or, in you]; if not, you have failed the test of genuine faith.
2 Corinthians 13.5

Observation
We need to--must-- honestly examine our hearts daily, testing all that is within us, to be sure we are still lined up with Christ.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
If I do not examine my heart daily, if I do not daily test my faith--it is so easy to get off the path that God has set before me. . . .so easy to listen to the voices of the world and to be pulled away from Christ. It is so gradual, for the enemy is so good at what he does, that we don't even notice that we have gotten off the path that leads to a Christ-like, Christ-pleasing life.

Today, I need to constantly be examining myself, testing my thoughts, my heart, to make sure that they still focus on Christ and living a life that is pleasing to Him. Today, I must listen to the voices that pull me and test them to see where they come from--not just follow aimlessly. Today, I must look at all that I do and think and make sure that they line up with God's Word and with what Christ has called me to.

Prayer
Lord God, it is so easy to get out of the habit of testing my heart and checking myself to make sure that I am on the right path--Your path. I get so busy, so distracted. Help me to stay on Your path. Open my eyes and my heart when I start to wander off. . . bring me back on course. Lord, may my faith be found to be genuine and placed only in You.

No comments: