Saturday, November 22, 2008

Life Journal, November 22, 2008
Today's readings: Matthew 11-13

What am I producing?

Scripture
[Jesus speaking] "A tree is identified by its fruit. If a tree is good, its fruit will be good. If a tree is bad, its fruit will be bad. You brood of snakes! How could evil men like you speak what is good and right? For whatever is in your heart determines what you say. A good person produces good things from the treasury of a good heart, and an evil person produces evil things from the treasury of an evil heart. And I tell you this, you must give an account on judgment day for every idle word you speak. The words you say will either acquit you or condemn you."
Matthew 12.33-37

Observation
What is on the inside does come out.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
What kind of fruit do I produce? Do I even produce fruit? What do my words and attitude say about what is in my heart? How do others see me--what do they see and experience from me??

The thought of giving an account on judgment day for every idle word I speak--that's kind of scary. It certainly means I need to be more careful about what comes out of my mouth. My words need to be words that edify--build up, not tear down. My words need to point only to Christ--not to myself or others. My words should offer life--not judgment. My words . . . I need to think before I speak, each time, not just occasionally or most of the time. There is power in words.

So today, I will think before I speak. I will offer words of life, words that build-up, and words that point to Christ. Today, my words will offer hope and healing--the kind that can only be found in Christ.

Prayer
Father God, put a watch over my mouth. Help my words be ones that bring You glory and honor. Help me to leaving the judging to You--and instead build others up. Help me to be a clear reflection of You in all I do. Thank You Father!! May I bear much fruit for Your Kingdom!

No comments: