Thursday, November 6, 2008

Life Journal, November 6, 2008
Today's readings: Job 30; Psalm 12; Galatians 3,4

Trying to Do It Ourselves

Scripture
Oh, foolish Galatians! Who has cast an evil spell on you? For the meaning of Jesus Christ's death was made as clear to you as if you had seen a picture of his death on the cross. Let me ask you this one question: Did you receive the Holy Spirit by obeying the law of Moses? Of course not! You received the Spirit because you believed the message you heard about Christ. How foolish can you be? After starting your Christian lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort? Have you experienced so much for nothing? Surely it was not in vain, was it?
Galatians 3.1-4

Observation
We are who we are because of what Christ did in our lives--not because of anything that we do.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I can remember when my daughter was little, I would try to help her with something and she would pull away and say, "I can do it by myself." Wanting to prove that she was "grown-up" she would attempt to do those things that only I (at the time) could do for her.

I do the same thing with God. I try to do what only He can do in my life, on my own. Why do I have the need to appear self-sufficient . . . instead of relying on Him and being God-sufficient? So often I feel the need to prove that I am capable--that I can do it all . . . . when the bottom line is--I'm not and I can't.

Today, I will focus on Who is in control and allow Him to be--in all areas of my life. Today, I will live in the grace that provides my freedom, not in the law that holds me slave. Today, my faith will be in God, not in myself. Today, may the Holy Spirit reign in my life--leading me and guiding me every step of the way.

Prayer
Father God, forgive me for trying to do things on my own--I can do nothing without You. Help me to listen only to Your voice and follow Your will. Don't let me get ahead of You, but don't let me fall behind either. May I walk each step in faith--in You--knowing that You are guiding me. Come Holy Spirit--fill me anew. Lord God, it is in You alone that I am who I am--Your daughter.

No comments: