Sunday, November 16, 2008

Life Journal, November 16, 2008
Today's readings: 2 Corinthians 3-6

Troubles

Scripture
We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed. Through suffering, our bodies continue to share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies.
2 Corinthians 4.8-10

Observation
Being a follower of Christ does not mean that we will have an easy life--a life without troubles or problems or attacks.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
We are so spoiled. We believe that when we accept Christ that we should not have any problems anymore. That life should go smoothly--which we translate as . . . going our way. So when troubles hit, we get made at God--even when they are things that we bring on ourselves. Why should we have to go through hard times? Why should we have any troubles? Why shouldn't things go our way? Why? Why? Why?

And yet, that's not the life we are promised. Instead we are told it's not going to be an easy life--but, that it's going to be really hard (afterall, Jesus said, "pick up your cross and follow me" [Mark 8.34]--that's not a life of ease).

The difference in a life lived apart from God and one lived with God is the presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives. He is always present. Always with us. We don't have to go through our troubles alone. God is with us.

So, today, I will not focus on any troubles that might come my way, but instead focus on God/Jesus Christ/the Holy Spirit. I will try to live in such a way (which I can only do because the Holy Spirit lives in me) that I reflect Christ in all that I say and do. That my reactions to life today will be one where it all points to Him through my weakness.

Prayer
Father God, thank You that I do not go through life alone--but filled with Your Spirit. May all that I do and say today reflect Your presence in me.

No comments: