Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Life Journal, November 4, 2008
Today's readings: Job 26, 27; Mark 15, 16

Sharing the Good News

Scripture
After Jesus rose from the dead early on Sunday morning, the first person who saw him was Mary Magdalene, the woman from whom he had cast out seven demons. She went to the disciples, who were grieving and weeping, and told them what had happened. But when she told them that Jesus was alive and she had seen him, they didn't believe her.

Afterward he appeared in a different form to two of his followers who were walking from Jerusalem into the country. They rushed back to tell the others, but no one believed them.

Still later he appeared to the eleven discipls as they were eating together. He rebuked them for their stubborn unbelief, because they refused to believe those who had seen him after he had been raised from the dead.

And he told them, "Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone. Anyone who believes and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe will be condemned."
Mark 16.9-16

Observation
You have to believe if you are to share . . . and we are called to tell the Good News to everyone.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Eyewitnesses had seen the risen Christ--Jesus had told them what would happen, that He would rise on the third day--the disciples had been with Him for three years--yet they had not believed Mary or the other two followers. So, Jesus shows up and rebukes them, gets on to them because they wouldn't believe the individual's that He sent to tell them.

I wonder if one reason is because they were arrogant enough that they thought Jesus would show Himself to them first--not others, especially not to a woman first. So, it was easy for them to dismiss the Good News that they had to share.

How often do I dismiss the Good News someone shares because I don't think that they are "worthy" to be carrying it?

I cannot go and share what I don't believe--at least not in a way that is believable. Jesus knew that the disciples needed to see and believe, to be witnesses to his resurrection so they could go and share it with everyone else.

Jesus reveals Himself to me in so many ways. I am called to share the Good News about how Jesus is at work in my life--where He shows up. It is much more real if I share out of my own personal experience then out of someone elses. And, I will be more passionate about it, because it is where Jesus met me in my need, where the Christ is at work in my life. First hand accounts.

So, today, I will look for the intersections of Jesus into my life. I will then look for opportunities to share the Good News that Jesus is alive and well and at work in my life in very real ways. I just need to open my eyes [and my heart] so I don't miss them. I cannot take anything for granted, but look at everything with a sense of awe and wonderment--Jesus at work in my life and in my world.

Prayer
Thank You Father for revealing Christ to me in so many ways. Thank You for the work You do in my life everyday. Thank You for giving me opportunities to share these--the Good News--with others. Open my eyes and heart so I don't miss anything . . . and so I don't miss those opportunities to share. Thank You for loving me so much! Thank You for being active in my life! Thank You for entrusting me to share the Good News!

No comments: