Sunday, September 30, 2007

Life Journal September 30, 2007 (Where did September go?)
Today's readings: Zechariah 7-9; Luke 13



Bearing Fruit


Scripture

"Then Jesus used this illustration: 'A man planted a fig tree in his garden and came again and again to see if there was any fruit on it, but he was always disappointed. Finally, he said to his gardener, 'I've waited three years, and there hasn't been a single fig! Cut it down. It's taking up space we can use for something else.'

"The gardener answered, 'Give it one more chance. Leave it another year, and I'll give it special attention and plenty of fertilizer. If we get figs next year, fine. If not, you can cut it down.'"

Luke 13.6-9

Observation
If we are who we say we are--there should be some evidence of it.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I just read?)
A fig tree should produce figs. A Christian should produce fruit (and not sour fruit! [smile]). How long should we expect to wait to see some fruit in our lives--and in the lives of others. If they truly are who they claim to be--how can it not show?

It is easy for me to look at the lives of others and judge them by the fruit I see--or the lack thereof. What about my life? How much fruit am I bearing? Is it good, juicy, sweet, fragrant fruit? Do I offer my fruit to others--freely? (Taste and see that the Lord is good.) Am I bearing only a little fruit--just enough to get by? Or are my branches full of ripe fruit? How much fruit do others see me bear--not because I should--but because I can't help myself--it is what I do naturally.

Prayer
Lord, I stop today and examine my own life--how much fruit am I bearing? It is easy for me to look at others and judge--but where I need to look is my own life. Am I bearing the fruit You want me to bear? Lord, give me another chance. Leave me another year, pay special attention to me, fertilize me. I want to bear fruit for You--I want my branches filled to overflowing with You. Also, may I give special attention to the fruit trees You have given me to tend. Give me the fertilizer You want me to use. Lord, may their roots go down deeply and feed from Your living water. May they produce an abundant harvest in Your name. Amen

No comments: