Thursday, September 27, 2007

Life Journal September 27, 2007
Today's readings: Haggai 1,2; Psalm 129; Luke 10


What Truly Satisfies

Scripture

So the Lord sent this message to the prophet Haggai: "Why are you living in luxurious houses while my house lies in ruins? This is what the Lord Almighty says: Consider how things are going for you! You have planted much but harvested little. You have food to eat, but not enough to fill you up. You have wine to drink, but not enough to satisfy your thirst. You have clothing to wear, but not enough to keep you warm. Your wages disappear as though you were putting them in pockets filled with holes!"


Haggai 1.3-6

Observation
Nothing satisfies but God.

Application
It is amazing to me that something in 520 b.c. could have meaning . . . . even sound like it was written for today. God was not pleased with His people because they were concerned about their own needs and desires--not about God's. It was all about them--not about God. It was about what they wanted. They weren't concerned about God's Temple . . . they just wanted more for themselves. And yet it didn't satisfy.

In so many ways I do the same thing. I put my wants ahead of God's--and in doing so I miss the blessings He is wanting to give me. I am also telling Him that I don't trust Him to meet my needs. I believe He won't give me "enough" so I hold back from Him so I can have more. And yet, no matter how much "more" I have, it never satisfies.

There is only one thing that can satisfy me--loving God with all of me and all that I have. When will I learn?

Prayer
Father, You alone can satisfy--why do I chase after so many other "things?" Lord God, please help me to reset my priorities . . . those things that I value. May I put You first in everything. Thank You for loving me and wanting the best for me. Amen.

No comments: