Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Life Journal September 12, 2007
Today's readings: Daniel 3,4; Psalms 81; Revelation 17


[Note: I will not be writing another blog until September 17th, as I will be away from my computer and have no access to the internet.]



Even If


Scripture
"Nebuchadnezzar said to them, 'Is it true, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, that you refuse to serve my gods or to worship the gold statue I have set up? I will give you one more chance. If you bow down and worship the statue I have made when you hear the sound of musical instruments, all will be well. But if you refuse, you will be thrown immediately into the blazing furnace. What god will be able to rescue you from my power then?'

"Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego replied, 'O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us. He will rescue us from your power, your Majesty. But even if he doesn't, your Majesty can be sure that we will never serve your gods or worship the gold statue you have set up.'"
Daniel 3.14-18 [the end of the story is at the end of this blog]

Observation
True faith means still believing . . . . . no matter what.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I just read?)
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego knew that their God could save them--(and this is the true faith part)--but that if He chose not it--"But even if he doesn't"--they would still not turn from Him.

A true test of faith. It is easy to trust God and have faith when God is answering prayers OUR way. . . . when we are safe, our health is good, our family is happy, we have a good job, we have warm (and nice) clothing, a place to live, and food on the table. But it is a whole other thing when we are faced with trials, and we know He could save us from--but might not--and we still have strong faith. That is where the rubber meets the road.

Would I be able to stand strong in the same circumstances??? I would like to think that I would, but, to be honest, I'm not sure I could/would. I mean, it is one thing to stand in front of the fire and have God enter the scene and save you--it's a whole other thing to be put into the fire BEFORE God steps in. I often expect God to keep me from having to go through the fire--"save me before they throw me in." And when I do that I tend to stay there--why didn't He save me from having to go through this--I miss what He is doing in the MIDST of the fire.

I am thankful that God promises not to give us more than we can handle (with His help)--I believe that if I am to go through something that I know I couldn't do on my own, He will give me the super strength I need. . . . and He will be with me. And the peace that passes all understanding!

So, how will I be different today because of these words of God? I think God is calling me to look for Him in the midst of the fires that He allows me to walk through--not to get stuck on why didn't He save me from the fire. To trust Him when I am thrown into the fire and to know that even when He doesn't save me from the fire--He is still God and His character has not changed . . . . . . He is still faithful and His love endures forever and He will never leave me.

Prayer
Lord, I have to admit that I would rather You save me from the fire instead of me having to go through it. And yet, You are there--in the midst of my trial. You are there, by my side, in the midst of the hottest fire. Lord, I would pray for faith that would allow me to dance in the flames. To see You in the fire with me. To give me the strength to do the hard work of walking into the flames when I need to--remembering that I do not go alone. You are with me! Thank You!! I am Your child and I give You my life--even if and when it means walking into the flames. In Jesus' name, Amen.

The Rest of the Story
"Nebuchadnezzar was so furious with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego that his face became distorted with rage. He commanded that the furnace be heated seven times hotter than usual. Then he ordered some of the strongest men of his army to bind Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego and throw them into the blazing furnace. So they tied them up and threw them into the furnace, fully clothed. And because the king, in his anger, had demanded such a hot fire in the furnace, the flames leaped out and killed the soldiers as they threw the three men in! So Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, securely tied, fell down into the roaring flames.

"But suddenly, as he was watching, Nebuchadnezzar jumped up in amazement and exclaimed to his advisers, 'Didn't we tie up three men and throw them into the furnace?'

"'Yes,' they said, 'we did indeed, your Majesty.'

"'Look!' Nebuchadnezzar shouted. 'I see four men, unbound, walking around in the fire. They aren't even hurt by the flames! And the fourth looks like a divine being!'

"Then Nebuchadnezzar came as close as he could to the door of the flaming furnace and shouted: 'Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, servants of the Most High God, come out! Come here!' So Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego stepped out of the fire. Then the princes, prefects, governors, and advisers crowded around them and saw that the fire had not touched them. Not a hair on their heads was singed, and their clothing was not scorched. They didn't even smell of smoke!

"Then Nebuchadnezzar said, 'Praise to the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego! He sent his angel to rescue his servants who trusted in Him. They defied the king's command and were willing to die rather than serve or worship any god except their own God.'"

Daniel 3.19-28

1 comment:

Drummer Chris said...

We're on the same wavelength today!