Thursday, September 20, 2007

Life Journal September 20, 2007
Today's Readings: Daniel 5,6; Psalm 130; Luke 3

Continually Worshiping
Topic: Worship
Scripture
"So at last the king gave orders for Daniel to be arrested and thrown into the den of lions. The king said to him, "May your God, whom you worship continually, rescue you." A stone was brought and placed over the mouth of the den. The king sealed the stone with his own royal seal and the seals of his nobles, so that no one could rescue Daniel from thelions. Then the king returned to his palace and spent the night fasting. He refuesed his usual entertainment and couldn't sleep at all that night.
"Very early the next morning, the king hurried out to the lions' den. When he got there, he called out in anguish, 'Daniel, servant of the living God! Was your God, whom you worship continually, able to rescue you from the lions?'
"Daniel answered, 'Long live the king! My God sent his angel to shut the lions' mouths so that they would not hurt me, for I have been found innocent in his sight. And I have not wronged you, your Majesty.'
"The king was overjoyed and ordered that Daniel be lifted from the den. Not a scratch was found on him because he had trusted in his God."
Daniel 6.16-23 (NLT)
Observation
Because of Daniel's faithfulness to God--and his trust in God--God saved him from the lions.
Application (How will I be different today because of what I just read?)
First God saves Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego from the firey furnace. Now, he saves Daniel from the lions.
God is able to save us. . . . so, why doesn't He always choose to? He didn't save them from going through the fire and from going into the lions' den, but He did protect them in the midst.
It makes it difficult to "see" God's saving work when we are in the midst of our fire or lion's den. We ask--where is God? Why would He allow this? He seems very distant, is it because I can't imagine seeing Him in the fire or the lions' den--that I believe that if I find myself there--that I will be alone, He won't be?
What jumped out at me was something the king said--"May your God, whom you worship continually. . ." (6.16) Then again in verse 20--"Was your God, whom you worship continually. . ."
Daniel was known for worshiping God continually. Not occasionally, not when he was in the mood, not just when things were going well. He worshiped God CONTINUALLY.
Maybe if I applied myself more to continually worshiping God, the fires and lions wouldn't matter so much. Maybe if I was continually worshiping God--my focus would only be on Him and not on my circumstances.
How will I be different today? I will work on worshiping God, my God who saves me, continually.
Prayer
Lord God, how quickly I turn my focus from You to poor me. May I learn and grow today and worship You continually! Amen.

No comments: