Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Life Journal September 11, 2007
Today's readings: Daniel 1,2; Revelation 16

Standing Strong
Topic: Discipleship

Scripture
"But Daniel made up his mind not to defile himself by eating the food and wine given to them by the king. He asked the chief official for permisison to eat other things instead. Now God had given the chief official great respect for Daniel. Be he was alarmed by Daniel's suggestion. 'My lord the king has ordered that you eat this food and wine,' he said. 'If you become pale and thin compared to the other youths your age, I am afraid the king will have me beheaded for neglecting my duties.'

"Daniel talked it over with the attendant who had been appointed by the chief official to look after Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah. 'Test us for ten days on a diet of vegetables and water,' Daniel said. 'At the end of the ten days, see how we look compared to the other young men who are eating the king's rich food. Then you can decide whether or not to let us continue eating our diet.' So the attendant agreed to Daniel's suggestion and tested them for ten days.

"At the end of the ten days, Daniel and his three friends lookd healthier and better nourished than the young men who had been eating the food assigned by the king."
Daniel 1.8-15 (NLT)

Observation
Daniel stood up for what he knew was the right thing for him to do and then proved that it was the right thing--the best thing.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I just read?)
How quick I often am to give in to the pressures of the world and do things that are not healthy for me. Whether it is what I eat or drink, or the pressure of achieving and success. All of these things affect my health, therefore the quality of my life.

Daniel and his friends said 'no' to what the other young men said yes to. And it is easy to imagine the other young men, who had been chosen, eating and drinking all that they could--over-indulging. I am guilty of sometimes taking on more than I should just because it is there and available. I have taken on the world's mindset that more must be better. Moderation is for the weak. How the enemy twists and turns the truth.

So, how will I be different today? God is faithful to point out those areas in my life where I give in to excess or what is unhealthy. I have to start listening. I have to begin believing that it is not punishment to say no. That it is not denying myself--but rather it is truly rewarding myself. That I am not giving up anything, but rather I am gaining so much more. It is about learning balance--not extremes. It is about saying 'no' to myself. Not going to be easy. But, with God on my side, leading me and helping me and guiding me and disciplining me--I can do it!

Prayer
Father God, thank You for caring about all of me. I pray, Lord, that You will give me the strength I need to say 'no' to myself when I need to. I know I am rebellious--I hate to deny myself--but I know I must if I am going to grow in You. So help me. Forgive my rebelliousness. I want to be the person you have called me to be. Thank You for loving me enough to change me. In Jesus' name I pray this, amen.

No comments: