Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Life Journal September 4, 2007
Today's readings: Ezekiel 22-24; Revelation 9

Standing In the Gap
Topic: Intercession

Scripture
"I looked for someone who might rebuild the wall of righteousness that guards the land. I searched for someone to stand in the gap in the wall so I wouldn't have to destroy the land, but I found no one."
Ezekiel 22.30 (NLT)

Observation
Today, God still looks for those who will "stand in the gap" for others--intercess on the behalf of those who are weak, or have sin in their life, or are in a battle, etc.

Application
How often am I willing to "stand in the gap" for someone rather than judge them? Am I ready to go to the throne room of God and cry out on their behalf--no matter what is going on in their life? Isn't that what Jesus did for me . . . . and still does for me? Am I willing to put aside my own desires and personal prayer list to pray for someone else?

Just as I need to stand in the gap for others, I personally need those who are willing to stand in the gap for me. We all have times when we need someone to intercess for us--just as the Holy Spirit does. There is an amazing thing that happens in my own life when I pray for another. . . . . I become more like Jesus--putting someone elses needs before my own desires. What a privilege it is to truly intercede for someone.

When I am talking about interceding for someone, I'm not talking about prayers of "please bless . . . . " or "be with them during this tough time" and the like. I am talking about standing--and standing strong--on their behalf. Fighting the battle for them--possibly fighting the battle for their very soul. It is not giving up, but praying without ceasing for the battle they are in and praying until it is over. Sometimes we are too beaten down to fight our own battle and need others to come along side and fight/pray for us.

Who is God calling me to stand in the gap for today?

Prayer
Father God, thank You for those You send to intercede for me. Bless them Lord as they pray for me. Open my eyes, Lord, for those You would have me stand in the gap for. Use me in this way Lord. Thank You Father for all those who hear and answer your call to stand in the gap. In Jesus' name, amen.

No comments: