Monday, October 1, 2007

Life Journal October 1, 2007
Today's readings: Zechariah 10-12;Psalm 126; Luke 14

Am I Willing to Pay the Cost?

Scripture
"Great crowds were following Jesus. He turned around and said to them, 'If you want to be my follower you must love me more than your own father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, more than your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple. And you cannot be my disciple if you do not carry your own cross and follow me.

"'But don't begin until you count the cost. . . . .

"'So no one can become my disciple without giving up everything for me.'"

Luke 14.25-28a, 33

Observation
While grace is a free gift--it is not cheap. To follow Christ we must be willing to pay the cost.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Theologians, for many years, have talked about the concept of "cheap grace"--accepting God's gift
of grace--which is free and offered to all--but not being willing to do the hard work of "opening" the gift--which means laying everything down for Him, picking up our cross, and following Him.

We make the offer of grace--but without telling the rest of the story--without talking about the cost. And then we wonder why people take the gift and walk away and there is no change in their lives. It's because they never truly accept the gift--they never get around to opening it. That would require too much.

I am willing to accept God's offer of grace through His Son, Jesus Christ--but am I willing to pay the cost? Am I willing to put Him before and above everything else? Am I willing to pay the cost--to lose relationships, to be shunned, to be judged by others, to do the hard work no matter the cost? To be a disciple, a true follower of Christ, I have to be willing to give up everything--to take the hard road, to know that there will be a price to pay, and that it could be very very hard.

It is one thing to follow Christ when there is no cost--look at our churches--filled with people who put their own needs and desires above all else. They come to have their needs met. They are not willing to give up anything to reach the lost. It is fine as long as it does not cost them anything--comfort, enjoyment, friends, music, nice messages. As long as things go our way, we are willing to follow Christ.

Cheap grace--grace that cost our Lord everything, but that we aren't willing to do/pay anything for. We will accept it, and display it for all to see--as long as it remains pretty and clean and shiny. But, don't ask us to go out and love the hurting, the broken, the unlovely. That is a cost that we aren't willing to pay.

Am I willing to pay the cost? Am I willing to give up everything to become His disciple? Am I willing to count the cost and still say "yes"? May it be so.

Prayer
Lord, forgive me for all the times that I have cheapened Your gift of grace by accepting it, but not be willing to give up anything for it. Talk is cheap--action costs. Lord, I am sorry that I have often not been willing to pay the price--to carry my cross--to give up everything. Instead I whine about how hard it is. You call us to stand in Your strength, in Your power--without whining. You have given us a choice--to follow you or not. You have told us there will be a cost--why then am I so surprised then when there is--and get upset with You? Forgive me. Give me the strength that I need to be Your disciple. To pick up my cross and follow You. To be willing to give up EVERYTHING for You. Lord, I want to be Your disciple--no matter the cost. (And, Lord, that's scary to say in some ways. So, help me not be afraid.) Thank You that You have called me . . . . that You want ME to be YOUR disciple. I am amazed at Your love, Your patience, and Your faith in me to be who You have called me to be. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments: