Friday, October 12, 2007

Life Journal October 12, 2007
Today's readings: Nehemiah 5,6; Psalm 146; Luke 24



Still They Doubted

Scripture
"But very early on Sunday morning the women came to the tomb, taking the spices they had prepared. They found that the stone covering the entrance had been rolled aside. So they went in, but they couldn't find the body of the Lord Jesus. They were puzzled, trying to think what could have happened to it. Suddenly, two men appeard to them, clothed in dazzling robes. The women were terrified and bowed low before them. Then the men asked, 'Why are you looking in a tomb for someone who is alive? He isn't here! He has risen from the dead! Don't you remember what he told you back in Galilee, that the Son of Man must be betrayed into the hands of sinful men and be crucified, and that he would rise again the third day?'

"Then they rememberd that he had said this. So they rushed back to tell his eleven disciples--and everyone else--what had happened. The women who went to the tomb were Mary Magadalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and several others. They told the apostles what had happened, but the story sounded like nonsense, so they didn't believe it. However, Peter ran to the tomb to look. Stooping he peered in and saw the empty linen wrappings; then he went home again, wondering what had happened. . . . . .

"Then the two from Emmaus told their story of how Jesus had appeared to them as they were walking along the road and how they had recognized him as he was breaking the bread. And just as they were telling about it, Jesus himself was suddenly standing there among them. He said, 'Peace be with you.' But the whole group was terribley frightened, thinking they were seeing a ghost! 'Why are you frightened?' he asked. 'Why do you doubt who I am? Look at my hands. Look at my feet. You can see that it's really me. Touch me and make sure that I am not a ghost, because ghosts don't have bodies, as you see that I do!' As he spoke, he held out his hands for them to see, and he showed them his feet.

"Still they stood there doubting, filled with joy and wonder."
Luke 24. 1-12,35-41a

Observation
They doubted what they knew or saw.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
They (the disciples) know that Jesus is no longer in the grave. Two have claimed to have seen him (on the road to Emmaus). He suddenly appears to them--speaks to them--shows them his hands and feet . . . . . . and yet, "Still they stood there doubting."

It is amazing to think that they would doubt that he had arose from the dead. They had all the proof, including seeing Him. But, it didn't fit in their understanding.

How often does Jesus/God show Himself to me and I miss it because He shows Himself in unexpected ways? Since it doesn't fit in my frame of reference, since it is "out of the ordinary" I don't see Him and what He is doing in my life--or in the life of someone else. We have our set of norms in our minds and if something falls outside of that we dismiss it. Jesus is anything but normal. He will never fit into a box. And because of that, even though I have seen Him at work so often--I miss Him. I doubt that it is Him speaking to me. I doubt that He is at work in my life or in the life of someone else. I doubt that He could or would do something. I doubt. Just like the disciples.

But, He doesn't give up showing Himself to me. He continues to move in my life. He continues to speak to my heart. He continues to change me . . . . in spite of me. He didn't give up on the disciples . . . . . . . and He doesn't give up on me.

Prayer
Thank You that You continue to show Yourself to me in so many ways. Forgive me for doubting. Forgive my lack of faith. Please continue to come into my heart, my life and change me.

No comments: