Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Life Journal October 10, 2007
Today's Readings Nehemiah 3, 4; Luke 23



Re-member Me

Scripture
"One of the criminals hanging beside him [Jesus] scoffed, 'So you're the Messiah, are you? Prove it by saving yourself--and us, too, while you're at it!'

"But the other criminal protested, 'Dont' you fear God even when you are dying? We deserve to die for our evil deeds, but his man hasn't done anything wrong.' Then he said, 'Jesus, remember me when you come into your Kingdom.'

"And Jesus replied, 'I assure you, today, you will be with me in paradise.'"
Luke 23.39-43

Observation
It is never too late to recognize Jesus and ask for the gift of eternal life.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I just read?)
The "other criminal" asked, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your Kingdom." The definition of remember is "to bring to mind or think of again." I don't think that is what he was thinking. What purpose would there be to ask Jesus to think of him from time to time? None.

I think how remember is used here is the opposite of dismember (to cut off or disjoin the limbs, members, or parts of; to break up or tear into pieces). He wants Jesus to "re-member" him--to put him back together. He gets it--he understands that Jesus is the only one that has the power to restore his life.

The world is really good at dismembering us--tearing us apart. And, it is only Jesus who has the power to put my life back together. And all I have to do is ask Him--and it is never too late.

Prayer
Jesus, please re-member me today.

No comments: