Saturday, October 6, 2007

Life Journal October 5& 6, 2007
Today's readings: Esther 3-10; Luke18,19



Who's Climbing Our Trees?


Scripture
"Jesus entered Jericho and made his way through town. There was a man there named Zacchaeus. He was one of the most influential Jews in the Roman tax-collecting business, and he had become very rich. He tried to get a look at Jesus, but he was too short to see over the crowds. So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore tree beside the road, so he could watch from there.

"When Jesus came by, he looked up at Zacchaeus and called him by name. 'Zacchaeus!' he said. 'Quick, come down! For I must be a guest in your home today.'

"Zacchaeus quickly climbed down and took Jesus to his house in great excitement and joy. But the crowds were displeased. 'He has gone to be the guest of a notorious sinner,' they grumbled.

"Meanwhile, Zacchaeus stood there and said to the Lord, 'I will give half my wealth to the poor, Lord, and if I have overcharged people on their taxes, I will give them back four times as much!'

"Jesus responded, 'Salvation has come to this home today, for this man has shown himself to be a son of Abraham. And I, the Son of Man, have come to seek and save those like him who are lost.'"
Luke 19.1-11

Observation
Zacchaeus sought out Jesus--and Jesus responded with salvation.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I just read?)
I love this story. Zacchaeus climbed a tree to see Jesus . . . and with all the people around . . . Jesus noticed the effort Zacchaeus had made. The "crowds were displeased"--what a great picture of the church when we take time to look up in the trees around us and see who has come to seek a glimpse of Jesus. They want us--just as they wanted Jesus--to pay attention to them--not to "notorious sinners." But, Jesus ignores them and acknowledges the sinner--the one who was seeking Him.

I need to remember that Jesus came to seek and save the lost--and I am called to do the same. I need to look up in the "trees" around me and see who has come to catch a glimpse of Jesus--and then reach out to them, in the name of Jesus. Who are the Zacchaeus' in my life??? Who would Jesus have me reach out to?? I need to keep my eyes--and heart--open.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, may I not miss those who are seeking You. Open my eyes and heart to see them, then reach out to them in Your name. May my heart be broken for the lost. May I seek them out. May my life shine brightly for You.

No comments: