Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Life Journal October 2, 2007
Today's readings: Zechariah 13-14; Psalm 147; Luke 15



Who Has Really Lost Their Way?

Scripture
"Tax collectors and other notorious sinners often came to listen to Jesus teach. This made the Pharisees and teachers of religious law complain that he was associating with such despicable people--even eating with them! . . . .

[Jesus speaking] "The older brother was angry and wouldn't go in. His father came out and begged him, but he replied, 'All these years I've worked hard for you and never once refused to do a single thing you told me to. And in all that time you never gave me even one young goat for a feast with my friends. Yet when this son of yours comes back after squandering your money on prostitutes, you celebrate by killing the finest calf we have.'

"His father said to him.'Look, dear son, you and I are very close, and everything I have is yours. We had to celebrate this happy day. For your brother was dead and has come back to life! He was lost, but now he is found!'"
Luke 15.1-2,28-32 (but read the whole chapter!)

Observation
Those who are on the inside really don't want to bring in outsiders.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
The church folks didn't like Jesus hanging out with sinners. So he tells them three stories to explain how important the lost are. The last of the stories even has a character that reflects the attitude of the church folks he mentions in the second verse.

The illustrations that Jesus uses point to the importance of finding what is lost--and he isn't just talking sheep and coins. He makes that clear:

"In the same way, heaven will be happier over one lost sinner who returns to God than over ninety-nine others who are righteous and haven't strayed away!" (vs.7)

"In the same way, there is joy in the presence of God's angels when even the sinner repents." (vs.10)

Why is it we don't want the lost to be found? It is what we are called to do--yet, we have many excuses not to even bother looking for them. We are like the older brother in the third story--we even become indignant when the sinner comes. When did our hearts become so cold and hard? Why do we expect the sinner to clean up their act before they come to church? Why do we not celebrate the sinner who comes to know Jesus? We are so busy judging whether they really have "changed" that we don't love them like Jesus--accepting where they are and leaving the changing work in their lives to God.

How will I be different today? I will remember what I have been called to do. I will focus on finding the lost and then remember to celebrate when they are found!

Prayer
Father, I thank You that You never stop searching for the lost. I thank You that You never quit searching for me. Lord, when I forget what it was like to be lost--remind me. Break my heart for the lost--just as Yours is broken. Lord, I don't want to be like the Pharisees and teachers of religious law . . . or the older brother. I want to seek those who are lost and then celebrate when they come to find You. Father, thank You for reminding me how important everyone is to You--how You never give up on any of us--how You continue to watch the horizon for Your lost son/daughter to be walking Your direction. Thank You for loving me that much!!

No comments: