Saturday, October 13, 2007

Life Journal October 13, 2007
Today's readings: Nehemiah 9.10; Acts 2


Remembering and Confessing and Worshiping

Scripture
"On October 31 the people returned for another observance. This time they fasted and dressed in Sackcloth and sprinkled dust on theirheads. Those of Israelite descent separated themselves from all foreigners as they confessed their own sins and the sins of their ancestors. The Book of the Law of the Lord their God was read aloud to them for about three hours. Then for three more hours they took turns confessing their sins and worshiping the Lord their God."
Nehemiah 9.1-3

Observation
It is important that we confess our sins--individually and corporately.
Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Chapter 9 of Nehemiah is a powerful chapter--it is a reminder of all that God had done for His people . . . . and all the times that they had sinned against Him. . . . and God's amazing faithfulness and unfailing love and patience and mercy!
I am not very good at confessing my sins. I act as if I don't talk about it--it will disappear or no one [especially God] will know about it. I like to think of myself being "above" sinning--when in truth, I sin more often than I would like to think. I sin in the things I do--I sin in the things that I don't do that I should--I sin.
I also don't do a very good job of remembering all that God has done for me in the past. I am too busy thinking of all the things He needs to be doing for me now. God's people remembered and recited His past provision, care, and faithfulness. They kept it before them, so they wouldn't forget. How quickly I forget if I don't keep an ongoing "history" of His great faithfulness to me. It is so important for me to remember.
In chapter 9, their is a rhythm of remembering all God has done, confession, and then remembering his unfailing love and mercy. When I remember God's faithfulness in the past, all that He has done for me, then I can clearly see where I have not been faithful to Him--and then I can confess, yet . . . . I can then remember His amazing faithfulness and gift of forgiveness.
I need to spend sometime today remembering God's faithfulness in the past, confessing my sin, and then praising Him for who He is and His unfailing love and mercy.
Prayer
"Stand up and praise the Lord your God, for he lives from everlasting to everlasting!"
"Praise his glorious name! It is far greater than we can think or say. You alone are the Lord. You made the skies and the heavens and all the stars. You made the earth and the seas and everything in them. You preserve and give life to everything, and all the angels of heaven worship you." (vs. 5-6)
Lord, You are so amazing--words cannot express who You are and all that You do! You alone are God. You alone are worthy of all my praise.
Father God, hear my confession. I doubt when I shouldn't. I look at circumstances instead of You. I speak when I should be quiet and am quiet when I should speak up. I judge others--as if I have a clue. I don't love enough. I don't serve enough. I don't want to walk through the doors You open--I want You to open the doors that I want instead. I allow so many things to get in the way of worshiping You and serving You. I whine. . . . . . My sins are so many, Lord. Please forgive me, cleanse my heart.
"But you are a God of forgivenss, gracious and merciful, slow to become angry, and full of unfailing love and mercy. You do not abandon me." [vs.17]
Thank You for loving me so much that You sent Your Son, Jesus, to pay the price for my sin. I don't understand that kind of love, but, Lord, I accept it. Thank You.

No comments: