Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Life Journal November 27, 2007
Today's Readings: Psalm 125; Matthew 26-27

Judging the Gift

Scripture
Now when Jesus came back to Bethany and was in the house of Simon the leper, a woman came up to Him with an alabaster flask of very precious perfume, and she poured it on His head as He reclined at table. And when the disciples saw it, they were indignant, saying, "For what purpose is all this waste? For this perfume might have been sold for a large sum, and the money given to the poor."

But Jesus, fully aware of this, said to them, "Why do you bother the woman? She has done a noble (praise-worthy and beautiful) thing to Me. For you always have the poor among you, but you will not always have Me. In pouring this perfume on My body she has done something to prepare Me for My burial. Truly, I tell you, wherever this good news (the Gospel) is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will be told also in memory of her."
Matthew 26.6-13 (Amplified Bible)

Observation
The woman gave Jesus all she had . . . . and there were those, those who were close to Jesus, who didn't like it.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I just read?)
How often do I not approve of a gift that is given to God? It's either too much or not enough. Who am I to judge the gift or the giver? Instead of appreciating and encouraging others in giving what they have, I find that I sometimes do the opposite. Is it because I am jealous? Is it because I didn't think to do it? Really doesn't matter what the reason--I need to stop and celebrate the gift given and the giver.

Prayer
Father, forgive me for the times that I have been like the disciples, judging the gift and the giver. May I see both the giver and the gift through your eyes and appreciate and celebrate them. And, may I do a better job of giving my all to you. In Jesus name, the most precious gift I have ever been given, amen.

No comments: