Monday, December 3, 2007

Life Journal December 3, 2007
Today's readings: Romans 13-16

Kingdom Living

Scripture
"For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of what we eat or drink, but of living a life of goodness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. If you serve Christ with this attitude, you will please God. And other people will approve of you, too. So then, let us aim for harmony in the church and try to build each other up."
Romans 14.17-19

Observation
It is the way we live out our faith and our attitude towards God and others that is important--not the little petty things that we often get distracted with.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I just read?)
How do I spend my time--looking at others and judging them based on petty differences--or walking and serving Christ with a life of goodness and peace and joy? Do I work toward harmony in the church and building others up--or looking for little things to get upset about?

It is so easy to get distracted by the unimportant and not live the life I am called to live. My focus needs to be on what is truly important. I need to ask myself--over and over--is it a Kingdom issue? I must focus on my service to Christ, my attitude toward others, and my part in bringing harmony to the church. The enemy works at keeping me distracted by the petty things. I must keep my focus on Christ and the life He has called me to.

Prayer
Father God, forgive me for how easily distracted I am--how quick I am to focus on the petty stuff. Help me to stay focused only on Kingdom issues--those things that move Your Kingdom forward. Help me to discern what is important and what I need to just let go. Sometimes I think I am getting better to only catch myself in the midst of the petty stuff . . . . sucked in by the agenda of others. And, Lord, please help me to be an encourager and be a peacemaker--bringing harmony to your church. Help me to demonstrate to others that bringing harmony is not giving in to what others want necessarily. But, relinquishing our will to You and those things that are important to You. Thank You for Your patience with me! I want to be pleasing to You.

No comments: