Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Life Journal December 12, 2007
Today's readings: Hebrews 5-8

Experienced

Scripture
Although He was a Son, He learned [active, special] obedience through what He suffered. And, [His completed experience] making Him perfectly [equipped]. He became the Author and Source of eternal salvation to all those who give heed and obey Him.

Hebrews 5.8-9

Observation
The experience we receive through our sufferings equips us to be who God has called us to be.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I just read?)
I would generally like to be able to move around the suffering piece. I don't like suffering. And yet, God makes it clear that it is part of how God shapes me and equips me to be the person He wants me to be. . . . the person He has called me to be.

It is amazing to me how God can use everything in my life [the good, the bad, and the ugly] to equip me to serve Him. Through it I learn obedience and am shaped.

I need to look at how God is using the tough stuff in my life--or how He might want to use it. But, again, that requires me dying to myself and living in Him. . . . a daily challenge.

Prayer
Lord, I don't like suffering and I don't like the tough stuff. I wish I could go around it all. But, You tell me in Your word that it helps in shaping me and making me who You want me to be. . . . So, I ask for Your presence, Your strength, Your wisdom in my life so that I can stand through it and grow and become more and more like Your Son, Jesus Christ. I have such a long way to go/grow. I know that it means I have to continue to die to myself, all the time, if I am to walk in the calling You have and are equipping me for. I recognize I cannot do this alone. I need You to come and fill me and take over my life completely. Come Lord Jesus.

No comments: