Thursday, December 6, 2007

Life Journal December 6, 2007
Today's reading: Philippians 1-4

Shining Brightly

Scripture
Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one heart and purpose.

Don't be selfish; don't live to make a good impression others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourself. Don't think only about your own affairs, but be interested in others, too, and what they are doing. . . .

In everything you do, stay away from complaining and arguing, so that no one can speak a word of blame against you. You are to live clean, innocent lives as children of God in a dark world full of crooked and perverse people. Let your lives shine brightly before them.
Philippians 2.2-2-4, 13-15

Observation
It's not about me.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
These verses to the Philippians reminds me, yet once again, to put others first--to work at getting along--to quit complaining and arguing--and to be a bright light in a dark world.

It is so easy to slip into a "me" mindset--wanting my way (because afterall, it is right), trying to make a good impression, be so engrossed with my own life that I don't see the hurting going on around me. And then I have the nerve to call myself a Christian . . . . a believer. No wonder the world wants less and less to do with organized religion. Who can blame them when we treat each other so poorly both within our walls and outside. And often doing it in the name of Christ. How that must hurt God's heart.

It is a matter of me being intentional about my actions. They cannot only be something I do--they must become a part of me, something that I live out everyday . . . with everyone I come into contact with. I cannot let my guard down--not even for a minute. I represent the Most High God. I cannot--I must not act in a way that does not bring Him glory and honor. There is too much at stake--the lives of the lost. And I am accountable for my heart and my actions. I must shine brightly!

Prayer
Good morning Father, Your Word cuts straight to the heart. I ask for Your forgiveness for all the ways that I let you down through both action and deed. I am so sorry that I allow my own desires to get in the way of serving You. Lord, I want to be the person You have called me to be. I want to shine brightly for You. I don't want to complain and argue. Lord, Your Word says that You are working in me, giving me the desire to obey You and the power to do what pleases You--help me to listen to You and do what You ask! Lord, I pray that I might become a vessel through which You can shine brightly!

No comments: