Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Life Journal December 5, 2007
Today's readings: Ephesians 5-6; Psalm 119.1-80


Living It Real


Scripture
Follow God's example in everything you do, because you are his dear children. Live a life filled with love for others, following the example of Christ, who loved you and gave himself as a sacrifice to take away your sins. And God was pleased, because that sacrifice was like sweet perfume to him.


Let there be no sexual immorality, impurity, or greed among you. Such sins have no place among God's people. Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes--these are not for you. Instead, let there be thankfulness to God. You can be sure that no immoral, impure, or greedy person will inherit the Kingdom of Christ and of God. For a greedy person is really an idolater who worships the things of this world. Don't be fooled by those who try to excuse these sins, for the terrible anger of God comes upon all those who disobey him. Don't participate in the things these people do. For though your hearts were once full of light from the Lord, and your behavior should show it! For this light within you produces only what is good and right and true.
Ephesians 5.1-9


Observation
If we say that we belong to God then we should act like it.


Application (How will I be different because of what I have just read?)
Do I live a life that is filled with love and light? That is the bottom line.


I wish I could say this is the way I live all the time . . . . but truthfully, I would have to say that I don't all the time. My life is not always filled with love for others. And, I don't think I always shine brightly with Christ's light. It's not that I don't want to--but I let down my guard and get pulled away--sometimes I don't even realize it is happening--other times, well, I know it and I don't do anything about it.


For me to live a life filled with love for others and to live a life filled with light, I have to be in the Word every day and in prayer always.


What is scary is the fact that sometimes I move away from these things and haven't even realized it. I get busy [often with church-related busyness] and next thing I know, I look at what's going on in my life and wonder how I got so far removed from where I am suppose to be.


The end of the Ephesians reading, today, reminds me what I need to do. . . . "Put on all of God's armor so that I will be able to stand firm against all strategies and tricks of the Devil." [Ephesians 6.10-18]


Prayer
Lord, thank You for loving me enough that You point out the painful truths in my life. Lord, I want to live a life filled with loving others and being a light all the time. . . . even when I don't feel like it. So, I pray that You will continue to strengthen me, continue to fill me, continue to remind me, and continue to fill me with Your love and Your light. I know that I cannot do it on my own. Remind me in the morning before I crawl out of bed to put on the full armor of God so that I will be able to withstand all that comes against me. And, Lord, I pray for discernment . . . . that I know what "battles" are worth fighting, which ones are distractions, and which ones I need to lose. . . . Not an easy thing! Thank You for loving me enough that You don't give up on me!


No comments: