Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Life Journal December 11, 2007
Today's Readings: Philemon; Hebrews 1-4

Rest

Scripture
So there is a special rest still waiting for the people of God. For all who enter into God's rest will find rest from their labors, just as God rested after creating the world.
Hebrews 4.9-10 (NLT)

So then, there is still awaiting a full and complete Sabbath rest reserved for the [true] people of God. For he who has once entered [God's] rest also has ceased from [the weariness and pain] of human labors, just as God rested from those labors peculiarly His own.
Hebrews 4.9-10 (Amplified)

Observation
God set the example of resting--of a Sabbath rest--for us to follow.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I just read?)
I am not very good at resting--let alone taking a true Sabbath rest. I cannot tell you the last time I actually did nothing but spend a day in the presence of God--in His Word, in prayer and listening, . . . . just being. I find that I feel guilty if I do that--I have convinced myself that I need to always be busy.

But, that's not God's plan for my life. We are called to spend a day a week (if we follow God's model) to do nothing but rest and renew in the Lord. That doesn't just mean not physically doing anything, but to also mentally set aside all that we are carrying.

How different my life would be if I would be faithful to this. I need to do it for myself and for others.

So, with that said, what day this week will I take as my Sabbath? It has to start somewhere and sometime . . . and there is no better time than the present!

Prayer
Father God, how much better my life would be if I lived the life You created me to live . . . with the appropriate periods of rest. . . . . resting completely in You. I confess I'm not very good at that, so

I need Your help. I'm not very good at just "being." But, I know I really need it. So, Lord, help me learn to say no to busyness and YES to You! Thank You!!

No comments: