Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Life Journal December 19, 2007
Today's readings: John 5-6

"Do You Want to Be Well?"

Scripture
Afterward Jesus returned to Jerusalem for one of the Jewish holy days. Inside the city, near the Sheep Gate, was the pool of Bethesada, with five covered porches. Crowds of sick people--blind, lame, or paralyzed--lay on the porches. One of the men lying there had been sick for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him and knew how long he had been ill, he asked him, "Would you like to get well?"

"I can't, sir," the sick man said, "for I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred up. While I am trying to get there, someone else always get in ahead of me."

Jesus told him, "Stand up, pick up your sleeping mat, and walk!"

Instantly, the man was healed! He rolled up the mat and began walking!

John 5.1-9

Observation
Getting well often takes action on our part.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
"Would you like to get well?"
YES, Lord!
"Then do something!!"

Ouch!

I am just like the sick man--I have so many excuses why I can't do what I need to do to get well. So, I whine about being "sick." And Jesus says to me, just as He did to the man, "Stand up, pick up your sleeping mat, and walk!" In other words, do something about it!! He gives the power and the strength to take that first step--but we have to be willing to take it . . . we have to trust enough to take it.

So, the question comes down to--Do I really want to be well???? If I truly do, then I will do the hard work that is required [trusting Christ to give me the strength and power] to take a step . . . . and then another . . . . and then another. But, nothing will happen or change if I don't do my part!!!! (Other than getting sicker and sicker!)

Prayer
Jesus, I do want to get well. I am powerless without You. I cannot even take the first step without You there. Like a baby taking it's first step, I need Your loving arms open so I can have a safe place to walk to. I know that if I fall, You will be there to pick me up, dust me off, and put me back on my feet. Lord, give me the strength I need. I am a mess without You. Thank You for Your mercy and grace. Thank You for healing me. Thank You for loving me. Thank You for not allowing me to remain the same.

No comments: