Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Life Journal 7 November 2007
Today's readings: Job 31, 32; Galatians 5, 6

What Really Counts

Scripture
"What counts is whether we really have been changed into new and different people."
Galatians 6.15b

Observation
If Christ truly lives in us then it needs to show--we cannot remain the same.

Application (How will I be different because of what I just read?)
How many people do I know that claim to know Christ, but their lives don't show it? How often does my life not show it? Ouch.

When we have accepted Christ as our personal Savior, the Holy Spirit comes and resides in us. Galatians 5 talks about how the Holy Spirit gives us the desire to do what we should. Verse 17b-18 says, "These two forces [our sinful nature and the Holy Spirit] are constantly fighting each other, and your choices are never free from this conflict. But when you are directed by the Holy Spirit, you are no longer subject to the law."

It doesn't say it will be easy, but it does tell me that I have help. So, I can make the right choices. I can be changed into a new and different person!

And what will that person look like? Galatians 5.22-23 tells me: "But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control."

Do these fruits show themselves daily in my life? I have work to do, but praise God, I have the Holy Spirit to help me!

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I want to be changed and different. I don't want to live by my evil desires. But, I cannot do it alone. I need Your help through Your Holy Spirit. Open my ears so I can hear His direction. Open my eyes so I can see the path You would have me follow. Strengthen me. Help me especially with self-control. May I give all control over to You. Thank You Father.

No comments: