Saturday, November 10, 2007

Life Journal November 10, 2007
Today's readings: Job 35-36; 1 Corinthians 7-8

Using the Right Tools

Scripture
"You think that everyone should agree with your perfect knowledge. While knowledge may make us feel important, it is love that really builds up the church. Anyone who claims to know all the answers doesn't really know very much. But the person who loves God is the one God knows and cares for."
1 Corinthians 8.1b-3

Observation
Love is the primary tool for building up the church.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
In a time of "how to books" that gives us "knowledge" of how we need to "do" church so that it can grow, I find these verses very inspiring.

No matter how much we know, how much we do "right," how many different books we read to learn the "magic trick to building up the church," there is only one thing that truly builds up the church . . . love.

All the information/knowledge can help . . . . but it really can't help if I leave out the most important thing--love. I must first love God and then demonstrate my love for Him by loving others.

My focus needs to be on loving God and then loving others if I am going to build up the church.

Prayer
Dad, thanks for Your Word today. As always, it reminds me of what is truly important. I confess that sometimes I get caught up in new ideas . . . . but it is only because I want to see Your church to be healthy and growing. I want to see us reaching out and loving those who don't know you. Lord, help me to discern what will benefit the Kingdom building and what will get in the way--help me to use the right tools--the tool of love. Thank You.

No comments: