Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Life Journal November 14, 2007
Today's readings: Psalm 149, 1 Corinthians 15, 16

Everything Done With Love

Scripture
"Be on guard. Stand true to what you believe. Be courageous. Be strong. And everything you do must be done with love."
1 Corinthians 16.13-14

Observation
While we are instructed to be on guard, to stand true to what we believe, to be courageous and to be strong--we are called to do them (and everything else) with love.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Paul's words are ones that I needed to hear today. "Be on guard. Stand true to what you believe. Be courageous. Be strong." Yesterday was a rough day. Everyone has them. These words make me want to stand a little taller--a little straighter--ready to face a new day.

The catch comes in the next sentence. "And everything you do must be done with love." All of those things are to be done in love . . . not anger . . . . not getting even . . . . not giving in . . . . We are to stand true, be courageous and be strong--all in God's love.

The last sentence doesn't say should be done with love, could be done with love--no, that EVERYTHING I do MUST be done with love. Which takes me back to chapter 13.

So, that means I need to depend more and more on the work of God, through His Holy Spirit, in my life--because I am not capable in my own strength to do any of those two verses. Today, I will be on guard. Today I will stand true to what I believe. Today I will be courageous. Today I will be strong. And everything I do today I will do with love. Not because I am able to do these things--but because of what God is capable of doing in me and through me.

Prayer
Lord God, I am feeling pretty beat up and weak today. I pray that You will be with me and work in my life so that I may be on guard. That I would stand true to what I believe. That I would be courageous and strong. And, above all, that I would do everything today in love. Not the kind of love that I am capable of--but rather the kind that comes from You. Thank You, Lord. Thank You for Your Son, Jesus Christ, in whose name I pray.

No comments: