Thursday, November 15, 2007

Life Journal November 15, 2007
Today's Readings: Job 41-42; 2 Corinthians 1-2


Suffering For Christ


Scripture

"All praise to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. He is the source of every mercy and the God who comforts us. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When others are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. You can be sure that the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ. So when we are weighed down with troubles, it is for your benefit and salvation! For when God comforts us, it is so that we, in turn, can be an encouragement to you. Then you can patiently endure the same things we suffer. We are confident that as you share in suffering, you will also share God's comfort."

2 Corinthians 1.3-7

Observation
Our troubles allow us to be comforted by God--so that in turn we can more fully understand the struggles of others and comfort them.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I just read?)
I don't know that I had thought about my troubles being suffering for Christ. That is an interesting thought--especially this week.

What I find is that most people really don't want to be comforted in their troubles--they (includingg me) want to whine and complain and have people take their side about how they have been wronged. I don't think that agreeing with someone within the midst of their troubles is necessarily comforting. It is certainly not how God comforts us.

We are to use our troubles . . . . and the comfort that God gives us . . . . to encourage others. We are even told that the more we are weighed down with troubles that God uses that for the benefit and salvation of others.

I have to admit I get a little self-centered in my troubles--feeling very sorry for myself--and sometimes not really wanting comfort until I have felt enough pity for myself that I am ready to move on. How different would my life be (and a shorter period of struggling with my troubles) if I looked to God immediately for comfort and then focused on being an encouragement to others who might be going through the same or similiar thing? Hmmmmmmm

Once again, it is a matter of taking my eyes off myself and putting them on God. Looking for the higher purpose of what is going on in my life and allowing God to use ALL of me.

Prayer
Father, I need to look differently at my troubles. I need to look to You quicker and to then use my experiences as comfort and encouragement for others. IT IS NOT ABOUT ME! Thank You for reminding me--yet again. Thank You for Your patience with me. Use me for Your glory.

No comments: