Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Life Journal November 13, 2007
Today's readings: Job 39, 40; 1 Corinthians 13, 14

Loving Others

Scripture
"If I could speak in any language in heaven or on earth but didn't love others, I would only be making meaningless noise like a loud gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I knew all the mysteries of the future and knew everything about everything, but didn't love others, what good would I be? And if I had the gift of faith so that I could speak to a mountain and make it move, without love I would be no good to anybody. If I gave everything I have to the porr and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn't love others, I would be of no value whatsoever.

"Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. Love does not deman its own way. Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged. It is never glad about injustice, but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

"Love will last forever, . . ."
1 Corinthians 13.1-8a

Observation
Love is what matters most.

Application
The Love chapter. It is often used in weddings or in celebration of anniversaries or other special occasions when we talk about love. All nice. All comfortable. It's easy to share these words or think of them with people that we love.

But, I think these words are suppose to go further than that. Not just those that I already love. What if these words are what I am called to do with everyone? What if I am to take these words to heart and love EVERYONE this way--not just those who I already love or those I find easy to love.

These words about the characteristics of love paint for me a picture of God's love. . . . therefore giving me a picture of what love really looks like. It is more than a word--it is more than a feeling--it is intentional . . . it is action.

So, God is calling me to love everyone this way. Wow. That won't be easy. But, imagine the impact it could have if I truly do try and love everyone God puts in my path this way. It will be life-changing for me . . . . and maybe others. It is certainly something that won't be expected by many (actually more people than I would like to admit). Quite a challenge. Am I up for it? I pray that I am .

Prayer
Father God, as I read about love, I see a glimpse of Your love for me. It is the kind of love that I am commanded to love You with, to love my neighbor with, and to love my brothers and sisters in Christ with. I cannot do it without Your help, Your strength, Your wisdom, Your eyes, Your heart, and Your Word residing within me. I want to learn to love as You love--not just those I like and love already, but everyone You put in my path. It's scary asking this, Lord. I know that there will be a cost to it. Afterall, Your love for me cost You Your Son. But Lord, I want to be more and more like You. So, help me love like You do. Thank You. And, by the way, I LOVE YOU, heavenly Father.

No comments: