Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Life Journal January 29, 2008
Today's readings: Exodus 23,24; Psalm 14; Acts 5

Rejoicing in Suffering

Scripture
The council accepted this advice. [Gamaliel had advised that the council leave the apostles alone. "If they are teaching and doing these things merely on their own, it will soon be overthrown. But if it is of God, you not be able to stop them. You may even find yourselves fighting against God." Acts 5.38-39] They called in the apostles and had them flogged. Then they ordered them never again to speak in the name of Jesus, and they let them go. The apostles left the high council rejoicing that God counted them worthy to suffer dishonor for the name of Jesus. And every day, in the Temple and in their homes, they continued to teach and preach this message: "The Messiah you are looking for is Jesus."
Acts 5.40-42

Observation
The apostles counted it as joy to suffer for Jesus.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Would I be rejoicing after being flogged?? Very humbling. Makes me think about how blessed we are to live in a country where, at this time, we still have religious freedom. What would I do if we didn't? There are millions who do not have this same freedom . . . they are beaten, tortured, and killed for their faith. Would my faith be able to stand that kind of test?

I take it all for granted, this freedom I have. It makes me "soft."

How bold am I willing to be? What am I willing to do for Jesus . . . .no matter what the cost? May I be found faithful in the face of persecution. May I be found bold in my sharing. May I be found rejoicing as I serve--whatever the circumstances.

Prayer
Lord, I am thankful for where I live. But, I am ashamed at how I take my freedom for granted. How I whine when things get a little tough or I am faced with challenges. Lord, I pray for strength, for wisdom, for boldness. May I stand for You in all settings. May I speak on your behalf everywhere I go. May I remember those who are persecuted for their faith. . . and gain strength from their faith. Lord, I want to serve You. I want to stand firmly, no matter what. Lord, may I be found faithful in my service to You.

No comments: