Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Life Journal January 23, 2007
Today's readings: Exodus 6-8; Luke 23

It's Never Too Late

Scripture
One of the criminals who were suspended kept up a railing at Him, saying, Are You not the Christ, the Messiah? Rescue Yourself and us (from death)!

But the other one reproved him, saying, Do you not even fear God, seeing you yourself are under the same sentence of condemnation and suffering the same penalty? And we indeed suffer it justly, receiving the due reward of our actions; but this Man has done nothing out of the way--nothing strange or eccentric or perverse or unreasonable.

Then he said to Jesus, Lord, remember me when You come in Your kingly glory!

And He answered him, Truly, I tell you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.
Luke 23.39-43

Observation
It is never too late to give your life over to Jesus. . . He is always there waiting for us.


Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
This is one of my favorite Scriptures. [I say that a lot. . . .hmmm] But there is an important lesson for me in it. That I cannot judge another because a personal relationship with Jesus is available until the end. It is never too late. . . . no matter what I think.

Another important lesson for me--while I know it, I really do, I need to be reminded--I am not saved by anything I do. The criminal on the cross did not get down and do good works. He was saved by faith, through the gift of grace.

And, obviously the criminal did not get baptized before he was "saved." He was saved through His acceptance of Christ's offer. So often folks think that there is some saving power to baptism, when there isn't. Baptism is a public profession--an announcement of our change of heart.

The last piece that is important for me to remember is the immediacy of the transport of our souls to heaven. Jesus clearly tells him here that he will be with Him today in Paradise. That's something to celebrate!!

Lots of lessons for me today. While not new--important for me to remember and to be and live differently because of them.

Prayer
Lord, thank You for the truths in today's readings. No wonder it is called Good News! Help me to keep these verses in my mind and my heart as I walk through my days. May I see others as You see them! Thank You for Your amazing love for me!

No comments: