Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Life Journal January 8, 2008
Today's readings: Genesis20-22; Luke 8


Freedom

Scripture
When the herdsmen saw it, they fled to the nearby city and the surrounding countryside, spreading the news as they ran. A crowd soon gathered around Jesus, for they wanted to see for themselves what had happened. And they saw the man who had been possessed by demons sitting quietly at Jesus' feet, clothed and sane. And the whole crowd was afraid. Then those who had seen what happened told the others how the demon-possessed man had been healed. And all the people in that region begged Jesus to go away and leave them alone, for a great wave of fear swept over them.

So Jesus returned to the boat and left, crossing back to the other side of the lake. The man who had been demon possessed begged to go, too, but Jesus said, "No, go back to your family and tell them all the wonderful things God has done for you." So he went all through the city telling about the great thing Jesus had done for him.
Luke 8.34-39

Observation
There are those who embrace the freedom that Jesus brings into our lives and those who run from it in fear.

Application (How will I be different because of what I just read?)
Amazing story to me. A demon-possessed man is freed from his tormentors and healed--and the people beg Jesus to leave. You would think they would celebrate and want the same freedom in their lives, but they don't.

It seems strange--and yet . . . . how often do I see God at work in my own life and want to run--fearful of what the cost might be--fearful of the change. Rather than embrace what God is doing (or trying to do) in my life . . . I run for the cover of what I know, what "feels" safe.

How different my life could be if I would learn to trust God more . . . even when it's painful . . . . and allow Jesus to set me free.

Then, just like the demon-possessed man, I would have even more wonderful stories to tell about the great things Jesus had done for me.

It is time to allow Jesus to come in and heal me . . . to free me from all those things that bind me. All those areas that I have kept closed off . . . . I hear Him saying to me, "Let me in . . . .completely. Don't hold anything or any area back from me . . . trust me. I will bring healing to you. I will free you from all that holds you captive. You are mine and I want you to be whole and well."

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank You for the hard lesson today. I like to see myself as trusting You, but You have shown me that I have not trusted You with all areas of my life. Today, once again, I give You me. And, I will continue to turn my life over to You as often and as much as I need to--I know that I keep pulling back, keep taking back what I give to You. I will do my best, with Your help, to continue to release all that I hold so tightly to. Forgive me for all that I hold back from You. Forgive me for not trusting You completely. Forgive me for not being obedient. Thank You for Your promises. Thank You for Your love. . . . and patience with me. Today is a new day. Today I choose to walk in the Light.

No comments: