Monday, January 21, 2008

Life Journal January 21, 2008
Today's readings: Exodus 1-2; Psalm 88; Luke 21

God's Ways

Scripture
So the Egyptians made the Israelites their slaves and put brutal slave drivers over them, hoping to wear them down, under heavy burdens. They forced them to build the cities of Pithom and Rameses as supply centers for the king. But the more the Egyptians oppressed them, the more quickly the Israelites multiplied! The Egyptians soon became alarmed and decided to make their slavery more bitter still. . . . Years passed, and the king of Egypt died. But the Israelities still groaned beneath their burden of slavery. They cried out for help, and their pleas for deliverance rose up to God. God heard their cries and remembered his covenant promise to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He looked down on the Israelites and felt deep concern for their welfare.
Exodus 1.12-13, 2.23-25

Observation
God's way is not always our way and often His timing is not ours--but we can always trust in His promises and His faithfulness.

Application
It is easy to get discouraged when our burdens seem so heavy. We question "where is God??" Our prayers seem to go unanswered. We can feel lost and forgotten. But, that is when we must hold on to the truths that we know--we must hold on to God's promises.

"I will never fail you, I will never forsake you." Hebrwes 13.5b

"The Lord is my helper, so I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?" Hebrews 13.6

"The unfailing love of the Lord never ends! By his mercies we have been kept from complete destruction. Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each day." Lamentations 3.22-23

Nothing can ever separate us from his love. Death can't, and life can't. The angels can't, and the demons can't. Our fears for today, our worries about tomorrow, and even the powers of hell can't keep God's love away. Whether we are high above the sky or in the deepest ocean, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8.38-39

When all seems lost, I have His promises to hold on to. Thanks be to God.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank You for Your promises. They are there for me, so I can hold on when all seems impossible or lost. Please continue to hold tightly to me and continue to walk with me--guiding each step of my way--even when I don't understand or try to go another direction. I want to follow Your path . . . no matter the cost. [That's really scarey to say, Lord--yet, I know that I can say it with the confidence that You are with me.] Thank You for loving me too much to leave me the same. Thank You for changing me every day to become more and more the person You are calling me to be.

No comments: