Friday, January 18, 2008

Life Journal January 18, 2008
Today's readings: Genesis 44-46; Luke 18

Humble Prayer

Scripture
Then Jesus told this story to some who had great self-confidence and scorned everyone else: "Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a dishonest tax collector. The proud Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: 'I thank you, God, that I am not a sinner like everyone else, especially like that tax collector over there! For I never cheat, I don't sin, I don't commit adultery. I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.'

"But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, 'O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.' I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For the proud will be humbled, but the humble will be honored."
Luke 18.9-14

Observation
We need to remember who we truly are when we stand before God.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
If we have been in the church very long at all it is easy to be very much like the Pharisee. . . . when in truth, we are very much like the tax collector. We forget who we are--and we certainly forget to whom we pray.

It is so easy to fool ourselves into believing that we aren't all that bad. . . . when in truth, we are sinners. While I am a believer, saved by the grace of God through His Son, Jesus Christ . . . . . I still sin. I want others to see the "sin-free" me. . . . so I put on my mask and pretty clothes and go off to church. When inside I have sin. . . . it lies in the darkness and grows until I bring it out and let the Light shine on it.

It is so easy to be the Pharisee in this story . . . . it is so much harder to be the tax collector--being honest about who I really am.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I am a sinner saved by Your amazing gift of grace. I recognize that I never outgrow my need for Your grace in my life. As Paul said, I continue to do the things I don't want to do. Lord, I do not see that as an excuse for sinning--I see it as an opportunity to continually examine my life and ask You to point out those areas that I need to work on. Lord, I am not worthy . . . . . all my worth and value comes from being Your child. Thank You for loving me so much.

No comments: