Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Life Journal January 9, 2008
Today's Readings: Genesis 23, 24; Luke 9

Living Simply

Scripture
Jesus now called the Twelve and gave them authority and power to deal with all the demons and cure diseases. He commissioned them to preach the new of God's Kingdom and heal the sick. He said, "Don't load yourselves up with equipment. Keep it simple; you are the equipment. And no luxury inns-get a modest place and be content there until you leave. If you're not welcomed, leave town. Don't make a scene. Shrug your shoulders and move on."
Luke 9.1-5 (The Message)

Observation
It's not what we have that matters--it's who we are that makes the difference.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
"Keep it simple; YOU are the equipment." Certainly not what the world would tell us. In our society what we have tells others our value. And as believers, we fall for what the world tells us. And we have wonderful excuses--we have to keep up if we are going to reach people. We have offer what they are use to. More is better. And there are pastors who are just as guilty. . . . I think of one who owns a private jet and lives in a mansion and I have known others who "need to keep up with those they are ministering to" so they live in expensive homes and drive expensive cars. Far from a simple life.

But, before I go throwing anymore stones, I better look at my own life. I can get caught up in the more is better mentality really quick. But, when I go there . . . I quickly realize that "things" don't satisfy. They don't fill the needs in my life. Now if I can just learn to realize that before I buy more! [smile]

Jesus isn't saying we shouldn't have what we need in life--just that we don't need the biggest and the best to be happy. That is worshiping the wrong things. . . . and when we do that our priorities get all mixed up--and God, slips further and further down on our list.

So, how will I be different. I will focus on what is truly important. I will do my best to be a good steward of what God has given me. I want to live a simple life and I need to be intentional if I am going to make that happen. Simple is the life we are called to live.

Prayer
God, I confess, I get caught up in the world's idea of what's important. I begin believing that more will make me happier--when in truth, my happiness/contentment can only be found in you. Give me the wisdom and strength to make the best decisions. Help me to learn to be content in life. . . . . not driven. Thank You for Your truths.

No comments: