Monday, January 7, 2008

Life Journal January 7, 2008
Today's readings: Genesis 18-19; Psalm 3; Luke 7

Forgiven Much

Scripture
Then Jesus told him this story: "A man loaned money to two people--five hundred pieces of silver to one and fifty pieces to the other. But neither of them could repay him, so he kindly forgave them both, canceling their debts. Who do you supposed loved him more after that?"

Simon answered, "I suppose the one for whom he canceled the larger debt."

"That's right," Jesus said. Then he turned to the woman and said to Simon, "Look at this woman kneeling here. When I entered your home, you didn't offer the water to wash the dust from my feet, but she has washed them with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You didn't give me a kiss of greeting, but she has kissed my feet again and agin from the time I first came in. You neglected the courtesy of olive oil to anoint my head, but she has anointed my feet with rare perfume. I tell you, her sins--and they are many--have been forgiven, so she has shown me much love. But a person who is forgiven little shows only little love."
Luke 7.41-47

Observation
When we recognize how sinful we truly are--we see the abundance of God's love and grace. . . . and we have more of it to share.

Application
It is often easy to forget who I was BEFORE Christ--I really don't like to remember just how sin-filled my life was. And, if I'm not careful, I can easily overlook the sins in my life now--as I am busy judging others for the sin in their lives. . . . and I become as the Pharisee in this Scripture.

I still have sin in my life . . . . more than I really care to admit. I'm working (with God's help) to overcome it . . . . but, it's still there. There are others out there who's sin is more obvious than mine--easier to judge than mine because it is in the open. But, sin is sin. My "unseen" sins are just as bad as those that can be easily seen in someone else.

As a believer, it is hard to admit that I still have sin in my life. I certainly don't want others to see it, so I hide it (or at least I think I do) and don't bring it to the Light. What I need to remember is that it is in the darkness that it grows (that is where the enemy wants me to put it)--it is when I shine Christ's light on it that it can be seen and then dealt with.

The debt that I have been forgiven is huge. My life should reflect my deep love and gratefulness for what Christ has done for me. I want to be the woman at Jesus' feet--not the Pharisee who doesn't recognize that I have sin in my life. To do this, I must not hide my sins . . . . but instead continue to pray that God will help me see the sin in my life, confess it, and then repent from it (turn and go in the opposite direction). I must allow myself to be held accountable--therefore I must confess my sins to others (James 5.16). Not easy to do--but doable because I don't have to do it on my own. God has promised to walk the journey with me. Thank You God for not allowing me to remain the same.

Prayer
Wow! A powerful, life-changing lesson today God. It's not new--but today I am hearing it with new ears and a new heart. Thank You. Continue to work in me Lord so that I am changed and transformed to be more and more like Jesus. I have so far to go, but I can do it . . . one step at a time, one day at a time. Give me the strength I need to be the person you have called me to be. Thank You for forgiving my sins. Thank You for Your Son, Jesus, who came and paid the price for my sins. I want to walk in the freedom of your forgiveness--not in the chains of my sin. Thank You for breaking those chains. Your love for me is overwhelming. I accept it. And, Father, I love You!

No comments: